When Do I Need a Building Approval?

By April 10, 2020Info

All structures in cyclonic areas require a building approval regardless of size. Anything with a roof, patios, garden sheds and even decks with no roofs. If you fill in under your house or change a garage (non-habitable) to a bedroom (habitable), it all needs an approval. If you’re, digging, hammering, drilling or sawing, likely an approval will be required.

Hypothetically, let’s say you went to Bunnings and decided to buy a Do It Yourself (DIY) garden shed. You invite some friends over on the weekend to help you build it. Four years later, you decide you want to sell your home, but you don’t have an approval for the shed. What happens when your sale is held up by an Unlawful Building Works Notice because you didn’t receive approval for your shed before building, or the sale falls through?

As a private certifier, we often receive calls from real estate agents and clients trying to sell their property with an “as built structure” that wasn’t originally certified. We are usually able to help in these situations, but approvals can take up to a month to receive, especially when the structure doesn’t comply with setback rules or it needs a higher level of assessment against the planning scheme.

Potential purchasers have the option to add a condition to the contract making the current owner responsible for the approval of unauthorised works prior to settlement of the property, but this can hold up the sale of your home.

It is a lot easier to apply for a building approval upfront. This saves a lot of headaches later down the line. Because we live in a cyclonic region (as specified in the National Construction Code), you will need to obtain a building approval for most types of building and structural work.

Not sure if you need a building approval? Give us a call. We will help you through the whole process. Call 07 4054 4588 or send us an email info@acapprovals.com.au.

Find out more about these Building Approval Services