Renovations & Additions Approvals


Enquire now

CALL 07 4054 4588


Are you wanting to make renovations, additions or alterations to your home and unsure when you need a building approval?

For the most part, you will need a building approval when you are changing something structurally within the house. For example, you want to add a couple of rooms to your existing home, change your garage into a habitable room or knock a wall down that is used to stabilise the home.

You may be confused as to why you would need to get a permit to change a garage into a habitable room seeing you aren’t structurally changing anything, but what you are doing is changing the classification of the room. A garage is a Class 10a structure and a habitable area is class 1a. A class 10a has different standards than a habitable room a Class 1a structure. Two major differences are the height of the slab above adjacent ground level and ceiling heights. A habitable room needs much more than a garage.

If you are unsure it is best to contact us to see if the proposed changes will be affected by the Queensland Development Code or the Building Code of Australia.

Who can we help

The All Construction Approvals team can help Homeowners, Home Builders, Owner Builders, Renovators and Contractors every step of the way. We can get y0u through the process seamlessly with advice you can trust.

  • Homeowners
  • Home Builders
  • Owner Builders
  • Renovators
  • Contractors
Get in touch

How can we help?

You need a building approval when you are changing a building class or if you are structurally changing it. This can sometimes be hard to determine so it is best to contact us to be sure.

We are able to help with any approvals in the state of Queensland. You can start the process by coming into our office, giving us a call or via email.
Get in touch

The Process

The best thing to do before you start any home project is to call us. We will be able to advise you if the building work needs a building approval or not. If it turns out that you do need a building approval, we will help you through the process. We will need a signed engagement form stating you are using us as your certifier, from there we will be able to assist you all the way through the building approval process.

The process includes starting an application, lodging it with council and conducting inspections as they are needed during the different stages of your building work. Once all works are completed and built to plan. We will issue you a final certificate which also goes on record with council so when you go to sell your property in the future the new owner will be able to see all works were legal.

Choose the right company

The ACA team are here to help. We have a wealth of experience when it comes to building approvals in general. You can count on our team to provide you the right advice the first time. Harald Weber the owner of ACA, has been working in the industry for over 30 years and he has assessed approvals ranging from tiny structures all the way up to high-rise buildings. He and the team are here to help every step of the way.

Don't just take our word for it

Great service, prompt and reasonably priced with really helpful and friendly staff. Would definitely recommend them and/or use them again.

Ann & David Jamieson

Very thorough and professional. Always available and responds at the earliest time possible. Advice is always clear, concise and specific.

Andrew McFadden

All Construction Approvals are a preferred supplier for Dawsons Engineering covering all aspects of building and construction certification and approvals. A team of experts with a wealth of knowledge always providing prompt service with positive outcomes. We would highly recommend their service.

Nikki DawsonDawsons Engineering

Having used ACA for over 10 years now, I can vouch that they are amazing to work with and always provide the highest level of professional service. They are thorough, reliable and nothing is ever too much trouble. The ladies in the office are always friendly and their efficiency unparalleled. Thank you ACA for taking the stress out of getting our projects approved!

Stephanie Ansell

Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I need a building approval if I just want to change my patio into a bedroom?

You need a building approval because you are changing the classification of the structure. A patio is a Class 10a you are wanting to make it a habitable room which is a Class 1a structure. This means they have different regulations.

How long does a building approval last?

You will have two-years to complete your project, you have the option to renew after the two-years.

What do I do if I am unsure if I need a building permit or not?

If you are unsure for any reason give us a call and we will be able to assist you.

What do I do if the work has already been completed, but it came up in a search that it wasn’t approved?

This is considered a retrospective building approval. We are still able to help you in most circumstances, but it may include rectifications to the works already completed to bring it up to code. It is always best practice to check with us before you build.

Experience Matters

The ACA team have over 20 years of building approval experience. With our personalised, reliable and consistent service and long-standing industry relationships, you are sure to notice the ACA difference.

Our past alteration, addition and renovation approval project examples:

  • Internal alterations
  • Carports
  • Patios
  • Full additions

About All Construction Approvals

Harald and the team have been approving houses all over Queensland since 2001. The team is knowledgeable, trust-worthy and well-versed in many situations. Trusted by some of the best builders in Cairns, along with, being selected for numerous government housing projects, the ACA name has been a long-standing staple in the industry for providing consistent, quality outcomes. Our point of difference from most other certifiers is that we try to make ourselves available, as much as possible, to answer any questions you may have along the way.

Contact us today via email, phone or walk-in for a free consultation and to get an application started.

Get in touch