April 10, 2019

Can I live in my shed until I build my house?

I would like to live in my shed until I've built the house that I really want. Well, if you're living in your shed, it's not a shed, it's a house, and with that comes all the requirements for being a house, such as energy efficiency, smoke detection, all the…
March 7, 2019

Can I start building work before I get my building approval?

People are always super eager to get started on their building project and sometimes ask us, "Can we start building without approval?". I would not recommend that. Council are very, very observant and they will catch you. So, best to wait that extra week or so, do the right thing…
InfoPool Safety
February 7, 2019

How long does a pool safety certificate last?

How long does a pool safety certificate last? For a residential pool safety certificate, it's two years, but you're not required to get another certificate. All you need to do is to make sure that your pool fencing remains compliant. You really only need to get a new pool safety…
January 9, 2019

When do I need a siting variation for my structure?

When do I need a siting variation for my structure? If it's a shed and it's not longer than 9m in length than it can be built on the boundary. Or if it's longer than 9m in length than a siting variation will be required. With additions, if it's a deck,…
December 14, 2018

Reminder for Builders for Wet Season: Erosion and Sediment Control

The wet season has arrived and with that comes a builder’s duty of care to ensure that appropriate erosion and sediment control measures have been put in place at any building and construction site under their management. Erosion and sedimentation can cause water contamination which can pose a threat to…
November 5, 2018

What are the mandatory inspections of building work?

What are the mandatory inspections required for your building work? Well, it depends on the building work. If you're doing a habitable structure, such as a dwelling or an addition with a habitable component, then there's a minimum of four stages. You're looking at a slab, bond beam, or frame,…
October 1, 2018

How long does it take to get a building approval?

People often ask us, “How long does it take to get a building approval through?” Well, if all your paperwork is in order and your plans are correct, we can approve it for you virtually there and then. Most cases though there’s some sort of constraint on your property and…
August 8, 2018

What does a private building certifier do?

We often get asked, "What does a private certifier do?" Well, under the Building Act, we have the ability to issue building approvals and undertake inspections, with the same power as what council used to have. There aren't many councils left that actually issue building approvals anymore. A private certifier…
April 10, 2018

New Lower Rates for Tablelands Inspections

What’s New? We are now offering local Cairns rates for Tablelands Regional Council and Mareeba Shire Council approvals. What does this mean for you? Not only will you receive GREAT service, FREE advice and TIMELY approvals, you will also receive discounted inspection rates. About Us All Construction Approvals (ACA) is…