September 11, 2020

What is the Role of a Private Certifier?

You may have heard you need to get a building approval to start works on a shed, carport or other structure. But, did you know you don’t have to go through council to get your building approval? Private certifiers inspect and approve building work to make sure it complies with…
August 10, 2020

When Do I Need a Building Approval?

All structures in cyclonic areas require building approval (certification) regardless of size. Therefore, in Cairns, this includes anything with a roof, patios, garden sheds and even decks with no roofs. If you fill in under your house or change a garage (non-habitable) to a bedroom (habitable), it all needs an…
June 11, 2020

‘HomeBuilder’ Stimulus Package

An exciting new announcement was released by the Federal Government this month. They are introducing a limited time, tax-free grant program called the ‘HomeBuilder’. The program was designed to assist the residential construction market to encourage the commencement of new home builds and renovations through the Coronavirus pandemic. According to…
May 29, 2020

Keep up to date with the Australian Building Codes Board YouTube Channel

The Australian Building Codes Board Resource Videos Did you know The Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) has a YouTube Channel? The channel offers a collection of videos to help people within the industry to better understand the National Construction Code (NCC) including the Building Code of Australia (BCA). The videos…
December 5, 2019

Plumbing Form 16s No Longer Needed by Certifiers

As of the 13th of November 2019, we received a Newsflash from the Department of Housing and Public Works advising certifiers that we no longer are required to obtain certificates for plumbing under the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2018 (PDA). Local governments are responsible for administering requirements of the PDA…
May 7, 2019

Can ACA Help with other applications or permits?

At All Construction Approvals, we try to be a one-stop shop. When you bring your building application in to us, we can also take care of the lodgements of the plumbing applications. We also look after your code assessment applications if you need one, and siting variation applications, if required.…
April 10, 2019

Can I live in my shed until I build my house?

I would like to live in my shed until I've built the house that I really want. Well, if you're living in your shed, it's not a shed, it's a house, and with that comes all the requirements for being a house, such as energy efficiency, smoke detection, all the…
March 7, 2019

Can I start building work before I get my building approval?

People are always super eager to get started on their building project and sometimes ask us, "Can we start building without approval?". I would not recommend that. Council are very, very observant and they will catch you. So, best to wait that extra week or so, do the right thing…
InfoPool Safety
February 7, 2019

How long does a pool safety certificate last?

How long does a pool safety certificate last? For a residential pool safety certificate, it's two years, but you're not required to get another certificate. All you need to do is to make sure that your pool fencing remains compliant. You really only need to get a new pool safety…
January 9, 2019

When do I need a siting variation for my structure?

When do I need a siting variation for my structure? If it's a shed and it's not longer than 9m in length than it can be built on the boundary. Or if it's longer than 9m in length than a siting variation will be required. With additions, if it's a deck,…